Thursday, July 14, 2011

Best birthing advice


I was thinking about some of the best advice/nuggets of wisdom I've received over the course of my pregnancies and thought I would share some (if you can think of any that I missed please feel free to add it in the comments). Now I know I've only had c-sections, but I did have my water break on it's own with this last one and with the first I did start to have her vaginally. So I realize I can't speak for all types of labor other than the fact that some of the advice was from my first pregnancy (when everyone thought it'd be naturally) and from what I heard from other recent first timers that did it that way:
You will shake uncontrollably after giving birth - this one is true for both types of delivery. I know after my cesarians they took me to the recovery room and smothered me with warm blankets to help but both the nurses and I knew I wasn't shaking from the temperature of the room. Your body will go into shock and shake.
Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt... Ever - this advice came from multiple professional sources: LLL personnel, LCs, and nurses. It was bard for me to believe at first because all the people telling me to be sure and toughen up my nipples to be prepared. But after the first time of getting my little girl attached I was estatic with the fact that it didn't hurt. All that worry for nothing. But then I for lazy in my positioning (mainly because how long I was letting her nurse for) and it started to hurt. It was hard getting her off and repositioning so I just beared with it. But if I had corrected her I wouldn't have had all the problems I did. My muscles were so weak and I was just not willing to hold her properly for the full amount of time. I guess if this advice doesn't ring true with you take the other side of it and toughen things up.


No comments:

Post a Comment