Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Early Birds

Just another thing for me to worry about: early births. One thing I noted this last week was (in a personal view of those close to me) an amazingly high... actually alarming number of preterm babies. Out of the 4 other people I know to be pregnant and due around my date: 3 of them have already delivered! There's only me and 1 other girl I know that are actually still on track. This is such a scary thing. I looked up the causes to pre-term babies, and it doesn't make sense with the other girls. Some possible causes are:
smoking, alcohol use, drug abuse, inadequate weight gain, inadequate nutrition, gum infection, other infections (such as STDs, rubella, urinary tract infections, amniotic fluid infection), hormonal imbalance, incompetent cervix, uterine irritability, chronic maternal illness, and pacenta previa.
I didn't realize this, but it is fairly common and occurs in 1 out of 10 pregnancies!

No comments:

Post a Comment