Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whimsical Wednesday

Today was an interesting day.  My fb status was:
It's rainy outside, and I feel as bad as it looks. I know if I were alone I'd just get right back in bed and try to go back to sleep with the hopes of a better start when I wake again. But, since I've got two kids I'm gonna put on my super-mom big girl underwear and have fun. I vow that we will not spend all day in front of the TV... and goldfish and justice for all!
Well... that should explain it all, but... let me start over.
It was rainy this morning, it opened up for a few hours in the afternoon though.  I'm having left over sinus problems (not really congestion, but yuck) and don't really feel like doing much of anything.  But I was determined... the TV would be turned off... eventually.  It took a while, but the kids started playing on their own for a while.  I built them a little fort area with all the pop-up tents and tunnel.  They had fun in that for a while.  We made some popcorn, then sat down in front of the TV again (I'm really kicking myself over the TV thing today.  All that kept going through my mind was how TV causes ADD.). 
I finally got an idea, all on my own, for a project for us to do.  But it was somehow time for Paul to already go to naptime.  I was inspired by all those wreaths on Pinterest.  I wanted to do something like that.
I took Erin into the playroom and we did some cutting.  I went and got a paper plate for me and gave her some construction paper.  While she concentrated on her single snips, I cut out the center, so that all was left of the rim of the paper plate (FYI I used the thick, slightly more pricey paper plates that we buy to eat off of... I've said it before, Chris has expensive taste.  But I do buy them in bulk, so that helps.  But I suggest this type for this project so that it has a rounded rim). 
At first I was going to take some ribbon that I had laying around (a fun mini mouse pink ribbon) and wrap it around.  Then I thought about tying it on and letting the ribbon hang, but then I thought that would look better if it was tulle.  So I nixed the ribbon.  Then I thought about some flowers, so I grabbed some tissue paper and looked up on Pinterest how to create some tissue paper flowers.  But even the simple ones would have been too complicated for Erin to do.  So I decided to just cut the paper into rectangles (5"x7" apx) by following the folds.  I chose three different, yet coordinating, sheets and cut them up. 
Rather than making flowers, I had Erin wad up the paper, then we glued them to the bottom of the paper plate rim.  It was pretty fun.  We only got the wreath half way done, but I can already tell it's already one I'll be ready and willing to hang on our front door.  I'm excited to proudly show off the crafts my kids do. 
It got me thinking about making a fall one (the colors I chose originally were more wintery because I didn't have any fall or halloween type colored tissue paper), and thought about using a different type of flower thing I had seen on Pinterest.  So I got to work on that.  I had to cut them out without Erin around.  It's looking like I'll have to put them together by myself, too.  But I can probably have her help out on placement and maybe gathering up a few leaves to put on it, too... I don't know where the leaves are that we would pick up because there are no big trees around. 
But when she started getting restless and he woke up... and after I fed them the rice I had just made with a fruit cup on the side... it was back to TV.  Rapulzel started playing, and they really got engrossed into that.  But I started feeling guilty again.  I mean, no wonder my kids are so ADD already.  Gotta keep it off and keep them away.  It's just hard when there's two of them and just one of me. 
SO I started thinking of things we could do to get some extra energy out.  Zoo!  Perfect... but nobody wanted to go with us.  By the time I decided we should go ahead and just go, I knew Erin would fall asleep... so we just went for a drive.  She fell asleep before I made it to McD, so I was able to get some ice cream.  :)
When we got back home, though, She woke up, went back to sleep for maybe 30 minutes... and was a compleate B for a while. 
Paul needed to take his second nap, even though it was getting late.  So once Dada came home, and after a few fits, he took Erin to the grocery store while I put Paul down for a nap and tried to get some rest myself.  But I think that cup of tea in the morning was still rolling away.
But the day went better, minus the tons of fits.  Erin didn't get enough pom poms, but they did get some time playing outside when they rode their bikes and ran around in the open area with Nissi and Canaan.  It was a good ending for the day. 

POST POST:  We finished the wreath the next day and this is what it looks like:
I think I'll hang it on the door when the time comes, maybe add a few snowflakes hanging from it, but otherwise pretty cool for a kid craft I created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment