Monday, September 17, 2012

Puffs Snowman

So while I was cleaning up today, I got to thinking. I've been in a "let's just throw everything away" mode for a while... which is a good thing, a really good thing in my house. I've donated a lot of old clothes to the PRC, and even a few trips to Goodwill.
But these past couple of days I've been really thinking about what to do with the kids during the day. I want to set up a schedule so we have a reading time (and eventually go back to the Doman lessons for math and reading, and maybe even get some time to cook or clean or something! But anyway, I've been thinking about things we could do, craft-wise. I've been really inspired because all I do is pin things, when I should actually use the pins I do. So I thought I would actually try some out. Yesterday I was successful in the chicken and (somewhat successful in) the fudge. And I created something new all by myself! So I thought I'd try it with the kids.
I'm kicking myself for throwing away all the boxes we had lying around the house because I can think of a ton of things to do with them now. But Se le ve, can't go back; I can only go forward. I'll just have to remember to keep some of the more useful trash when I get on one of those moods.
But Anyway, I was picking up some trash today and while most of it definetly went to the trash, there was one item in particular that when I looked at it I got inspired.
It was the empty can of Gerber's baby puffs. At first, I'm always trying to look at things and think how I could use them as containers. But when I looked at this one I almost immediately thought how it looks kind of like a snowman! So that is exactly what I'm going to make out of it! I'm super excited. I'm going to have the kids pick out the color construction paper for the hat and have them help me glue on the buttons and face.
I'm super excited that I went to Hobby Lobby Saturday (when I was really starting to get the "let's be crafty, kids" bug), because I picked up some smaller pom poms (not to be confused with the award pom poms, googlie eyes, and pipe cleaners (among other things). So now we have a fun craft, and I'm ready for it and so excited to do it. I'm just waiting for both of them to be awake before attempting to do it.

** Sorry this was so choppy, I kept getting up to spend time with Erin. I only started it during the day instead of at night after bedtime because Paul was asleep and Erin wanted to watch a Dora. Well, that didn't last long, she had me getting up and participating along with it (I'm so glad she's started participating with it), then we had to go build a castle, play with play dough, and make some cookies. All things I'm glad I've done, but it made writing this a bit choppy.


***** ((LATER THAT DAY))*****
 
Here's what we did... all with stuff you can get at either your local hobby store or even everything-a-dollar store, except the puffs container.  They did a lot of the work themselves.  We used googlie eyes, glitter glue, and small pom poms.  It was a lot of fun.  I tried having us create the hat, too, but we got a little sidetracked and ended up just glitter gluing the construction paper. 
I figure if I find a few more, I'll do them on my own and we can see the adult-done version that's probably a bit more Pinterest-y, but less children fun friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment