Monday, October 19, 2009

Maternity Clothes

Maternity clothes are great! I didn't realize how frumpy I looked before when I was just wearing baggy clothes and pj bottoms. Now I feel good about my looks (sexy one might say, but it sounds weird given the pregnancy big belly part of it) when I go out. I want to thank both Patty and Mom for getting me some new threads. I really really really appriciate it! They were much needed, and I didn't even realize how much so.
I was trying to hold out all nine months and not buy any... well, I got six months through, and I'm starting to think I should have gotten them earlier! I mean, at three months, you couldn't even tell how far along I was. I only really started showing within the last couple of months. Month 4 my pants were tight at the waist, and I had gained back the belly I had worked on loosing before getting pregnant.
Month 5, I've just been wearing my big clothes from before I lost weight, and even some of Chris' clothes that he accidently shrunk. But pants had been restricted to elastic waistbands and drawstrings. I think it's because I don't feel I get out enough for me to go out and get clothes for it, but with two weddings and some other things to go to, I had to look really really hard for things I could wear.
So last time Mom was here, I broke down and we went shopping for "pants that weren't PJs... specifically jeans." I found some that were really nice. I had to exchange one pair, but I got some nice stuff from the exchange. I'm glad they have the return policy on their clothes. I liked the pair I had to exchange, but they were just not fitting right. When I walked around too much they'd slide down. I felt like I was pulling up my pants all the time, and that's hard to do with the "secret belly fit" because you're not only pulling up around the waist, you have to pull up under the boobs and backside too! But it's all good. I traded them in for some jeans that are under the belly. I didn't think I'd like that style because I don't like low-riders, but they fit great! They sit nice and high in the back, so I'm not showing any sort of underwear when I bend or sit, but are low in front. The only thing is they feel a bit odd when I sit because there's all that denim right where my belly crease is and she responds to it. So I don't know if I'll have to return those too, or not. I'm going to talk to the Dr. and see if that's normal, or if I should worry about what the pants are doing to her (I don't know how that works).
When I'm sitting round the house I still wear the pjs and loose tees, but I'm very glad now that I know I won't look frumpy if I just want to run out to the store to grab something. I had read an article early early on about how women who are pregnant suddenly just don't care. And yeah, I was like that. I kept thinking "I'm obviously pregnant, so let me be comfortable." But now I know I can be comfortable and stylish. Thank you ladies, I really appriciate it!

Adendum (10.21.09): I'm a medium, for all points and purposes... and a petite, because of my height I'm right under the "average height". Oh well. But I am able to find some small pants that fit well, which makes me estatic. And normally (un-preggers me) I would be able to wear larges as well because they're comfortable. But with pregnancy pants, they need to fit just right, otherwise you'll be showing off more than your stomach! So...
I think I've figured out the pants thing, at least for me. They say that for each person it's different, but here's how it goes with me: If it's heavy materials, like denium, then they should be the "under the belly." But if they're some of the more lightweight materials, I can do the "secret belly panel." PJs are always just comfortable. I think I'm so used to wearing pants under my stomache the jeans feel normal.
As for shirts... ok, you'll have to check out my next blogpost for more details, but basically I'm still a steady medium (only in tees and unisex shirts have I been smalls for a while now). Because when I try on larges they're a bit baggy, and don't fit as nicely as they should. The problem with some medium shirts is my bust... heck yes, I'm busty. So anything that requires me to button it up is a no go (like those nice little dress shirts that look like office wear).
When I was first getting shirts, I was self concious because my boobs looked huge! Only just within the last few weeks has my stomach out-bumped them. But after talking to people (husband and such) I've come to realize that even with the low-cuts people are still looking at the stomach bump, and not the other two. I've also come to really appriciate the low cut/button-down/v-neck/etc. tops because they've usually got past the pregnancy in mind. They're also a great option for when you're nursing. I hadn't thought about that until someone else pointed it out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment